Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Who Is Richard, RN?



Wow!! What a question to start a blog with. Who is Richard,RN? Who I am, what I believe in, and what makes me different are important questions when people are deciding to read a blog.

I am a Registered Nurse. I have been an RN for over 20 years. How I became an RN and some of my history before nursing are stories for the future. All I will say for now is that I have had "an interesting life."

I have worked in ERs, and ICUs for most of my career. I posses an insatiable curiosity about how things work and why they work that way and I love to share any knowledge I acquire. My curiosity is quite eclectic (I had to look up this word but it works so well some times.) This means I learn about healthcare, alternatives to modern healthcare, computers, blogging, marketing, dieting, TV, Movies, Books etc. etc. I spent years with my youngest daughter watching science based TV like CSI with a laptop between us as we researched the actual science as they were presenting something on TV. Found out lots of stuff that was fun to know. And some of it was pretty useless, but my daughter now loves science. My eclectic curiosity may pay big dividends for my daughter.

I love teaching my patients and their families. A great deal of information is available to the public on heathcare issues such as diseases, medications, treatments and a thousand other questions that I have been asked to answer. But how do my patients and their loved ones find this information? How do they translate Medical Speak to something they can understand. An article written by some pharmicutical geek with 2-3 PHDs is difficult to understand when you are a 65 year old immigrant from Thailand who works hard but can barely read and write 3rd grade English. The Medical Speak his doctor uses isn't much better and the nurses frequently give information so incomplete that it is worse than useless. "This is your heart pill" doesn't help when they take 4 medications for their heart. I enjoy the challenge of translating Medical Speak to something that can be used by the patient and their family.

I believe people are more likely to make wise decisions when they UNDERSTAND what is being said to them by healthcare professionals and how their choices effect them as a patient.I would like to help others and hope this blog allow me to perform this service. Write comments. Ask questions. I don't promise to have the answers, but I will share what I can and what I learn. We can learn together.

So, ask me what you want to know. Tell me what you already know. Let's talk, chat, laugh and just help each other.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Richard! This is Debby in Cape Coral, Florida. You have an interesting life. What's your email address?

Deborah Goulekas, 54
debgoulekas@hotmail.com