Monday, March 30, 2009

INTRODUCTION TO DIABETES

I have a friend who is diabetic. I love the way she states "Diabetes doesn't define me, but it helps explain me." She has reached a point of acceptance with her diabetes that I have not reached yet. I hope that I eventually arrive at the same spiritual point with my diabetes.

I am a nurse who has taught diabetes for more than 20 years, but I was only diagnosed with diabetes a year ago. I have found out that the things I have always taught are true, but incomplete. I have always mentally accepted the vagaries of diabetes and now I have to emotionally accept the consequences and effects of diabetes in my life. I believe this will be a journey that I will continue to learn about for the rest of my life.

Diabetes is different for every diabetic. Our bodies respond differently to stress, exercise, food and medication. Our physician and our dietitian become some of the most important people in our lives as we learn about OUR DIABETES.

So I would like to go through my teaching that I use with patients and personalize the lessons. This will take several posts over the next few weeks. I hope others find reading these as rewarding as I hope to find writing them.

I will begin with the simple statement that "every diabetic is different and their treatment plan is as individual as their face. Their treatment plan must be worked out over time between them and their doctor." We must all find a doctor that we can speak comfortably with and trust their care. This allows for a better working relationship between them and their doctor. I have even stated that working with a doctor they could communicate with and trust was one of the most important factors in successful treatment for diabetes.

The new diabetic will be started on a diet and medication regimen by their doctor. Most diabetics will be asked to check their blood sugars at home. The good news is that these machines can be obtained for very little money or even for free. The companies who make the monitors provide a certain number of free monitors because only their strips will work and you then have to buy strips. Most insurance companies and Medicare will help with machines and strips. I prefer a monitor that allows me to check my blood sugar on my hand or forearm.

Monitoring blood sugars allows the diabetic and their physician to see the effects of medication, diet and exercise. I have found it amazing how blood sugars can be elevated from some foods that I thought were OK and see very little elevation from foods that I thought would create a problem. One on my patients has a very large increase in blood sugar from 1/2 of a slice of bread, but very little from a serving of regular Vanilla pudding. The pudding contains sugar and I thought he would see an elevation of 100 points when he actually had and elevation of only 25 points.

Speaking of blood sugar brings me to the final subject of this blog. What is Diabetes? Most people believe that diabetes is a problem of high blood sugars. It is not having an elevated blood sugar!!!!!

Diabetes is a shortage of insulin in our bodies. Our blood sugar builds up in our blood stream when there is not enough insulin to carry the blood sugar into the cells where it can be used for as fuel for the cells. When our cells do not receive enough blood sugar they become damaged over time. This is what can cause the wide spectrum and devastating complications associated with diabetes. Treatment is usually designed to balance a reduced need for insulin with supplementing the bodies production of insulin. Both result in a lower blood sugar as less foods are converted to blood sugar and more blood sugar is carried into the cells of the body.

No comments: